Rebuilder's Gallery Pianos

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Jul 1 07:56:10 MDT 2006

It seems to me that choices for rebuilding have to take into consideration
all those things you mention.  The piano must have enough inherent value as
perceived by the ultimate buying public if you hope to recoup the money
you've speculatively put into the piano.  Even then, margins are not huge.
That isn't to say that in reality you are not by virtue of the design work
adding value to an otherwise less valuable instrument.  Whether you can
convince a buyer of that is another story.

Other than that, the rim and the plate have to be two key criteria in
deciding whether the piano has potential.  I'm redoing a 6'4" Knabe from the
1920s at the moment and it has a very solid rim and good plate--tremendous
rebuilding potential in those pianos.  With a new soundboard and bridge
design, new key set and action I'm sure it will be a phenomenal piano, much
better than the original and as good as anything with greater fallboard
recognition.  Again, whether a potential buyer will be able to judge the
piano on its own merit remains to be seen.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com