Rebuilder's Gallery Pianos

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Sat Jul 1 08:17:03 MDT 2006

Hey Bob----Replies are just my opinions and remembrances....
> What brands of pianos were represented?  Steinway,
> Overs, Mason & Hamlin and Chickering?  Is this list
> right?
Nope...no Chickering.

> Most of the pianos were Steinways. Was this
> coincidence?
Nope.
>I thought all of the pianos exhibited a
> high level of craftsmanship and sounded great. Thank
> you for bringing these fine instruments and for
> sharing so freely with us all!
You're welcome.  It was a blast.

> However, why was there not a greater variety of brands
> in the mix?
Pure economics, backed by the known quality of the construction.
Steinway sells; that's what I'm going to rebuild if I want to sell pianos.
The kind of restoration work we do usually is only feasible, cost-wise, to
do on a Steinway or M&H because the market acknowledges their value.

> Is it due to the high resale value of used Steinways?
Yup.
> Marketing and fallboarditis? Name recognition?
Yup and yup.
> Is it due to the quality of the original structure
> which adds quality also to the result of the rebuild?
See above; yup.
> Wouldn't it be interesting to see what can be done
> with other brands, maybe some that would offer a
> greater challenge in bringing about improvements?
If you had come to my class, you bad boy, you would know we're attempting to
do a "less expensive yet still artisanal" rebuild on good old American
brands that have been in Southern California their entire lives and are in
original, good condition:  i.e., their boards and pinblocks are still good,
solid, and useable.  Our first one is a 6'3" Steinert grand; we'll do it in
August; I'll keep you posted.

> Can you say that a particular aspect (probably one
> that is unchangeable) of a piano is the most
> determining factor in how well a rebuild will turn
> out? Rim quality?
>Thanks Bob Hull
Others would know much better than me, but yes---quality of rim, braces,
plate; the general quality of the body, the back action, the keyframe.

Thank YOU....David Andersen