Rebuilder's Gallery Pianos

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 2 17:29:35 MDT 2006

One reason people buy pianos - especially expensive pianos - is because of the Status they believe owning the piano will convey.  Steinway and Boesendorfer are the status instruments, Bechstein comes in third and Fazioli is rising.

My Timex watch keeps pretty good time, but if the VP of the bank comes in wearing a Timex watch, he's sunk his career.  I hope his "Rolex" keeps time!

Status, and the belief that status or the trappings of status will bring happiness are very powerful drivers. Not without some truth within the world of status.

One of my customers said "My daughter is beginning to understand that we are the kind of people who play Steinway pianos."

By the way, the Overs piano was on its way to its new owner in the USA, so score one for technician's reality!

Ed Sutton