rebuilding deadlines/angry client

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Mon Jul 3 00:56:17 MDT 2006

Rick,
This is why you're glad you got the deposit before beginning work. I would write her a nice letter (registered), document all your phone calls and letters as well as signed work orders, etc. Give it 30 days, during which time I would not be surprised if she contacts you. If not, I would probably hand it over to a collection agency. I've done this a couple times, they usually get half, to me it's not worth the effort pursuing people that won't pay, I hate that part of the job. Fortunately it's extremely rare. If she won't pay you may be able to take possession of the piano, donate it to a cancer research agency in her name, take the deduction on the full amount of the bill as the value of the piano. If you're in the 30% tax bracket you might come out close with the 50% deposit you already have. Could that really work?
Fenton