big city rates

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 13:34:36 MDT 2006

Hi,

I charge my full rate almost always. I can see no justification for
charging "extra" to well off clients. I suppose it would be within the
realms of ethical to charge more for tuning grand pianos, however I don't
do so myself.

Another "valid" approach that might be considered is to charge by the cents
of pitch correction--at least that is what one long time tuner in my
community chose to do--and his clients found it acceptable.

At 02:22 PM 7/3/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>We have a local guy who says he charges according to the "thickness of the
>carpet"................    I sort of like to keep that in mind as I consider
>what I will charge, because usually I really cheat myself, especially if it
>is some little old lady on fixed income.   If the carpet is really thick,
>then I will actually charge for a 20-cent pitch raise, when I often don't,
>since I use an ETD and generally go through all pianos twice anyhow.  I was
>in a home this week where the lady teaches in a private school and doesn't
>make enough to get her learning disabled kid in, so I extra work for which I
>didn't charge. I don't up my fees in the wealthy homes, but I do give myself
>permission to charge extra for neglected pianos, and will charge for some
>repairs I would just sort of gloss over in homes where people are rather
>strapped.  The guy who charges by "thickness of carpet" is actually highly
>scrupulous and his business ethics actually are totally above reproach.  I
>just remind myself at times that I do deserve to earn a living wage, which I
>so often forget untill I have to pay a "living bill" for something like auto
>or aircondditioning............
>les bartlett
>www.bartlettpianoservice.com

Regards,