big city rates

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 3 13:22:52 MDT 2006

We have a local guy who says he charges according to the "thickness of the
carpet"................    I sort of like to keep that in mind as I consider
what I will charge, because usually I really cheat myself, especially if it
is some little old lady on fixed income.   If the carpet is really thick,
then I will actually charge for a 20-cent pitch raise, when I often don't,
since I use an ETD and generally go through all pianos twice anyhow.  I was
in a home this week where the lady teaches in a private school and doesn't
make enough to get her learning disabled kid in, so I extra work for which I
didn't charge. I don't up my fees in the wealthy homes, but I do give myself
permission to charge extra for neglected pianos, and will charge for some
repairs I would just sort of gloss over in homes where people are rather
strapped.  The guy who charges by "thickness of carpet" is actually highly
scrupulous and his business ethics actually are totally above reproach.  I
just remind myself at times that I do deserve to earn a living wage, which I
so often forget untill I have to pay a "living bill" for something like auto
or aircondditioning............
les bartlett
www.bartlettpianoservice.com