When clients die.

Carman Gentile cgpiano at humboldt1.com
Wed Jul 5 15:56:08 MDT 2006

My colleagues,

    On rare occasions when I call a client to schedule a tuning I learn
from a family member that the client has passed away since the last
appointment.  Once the phone was answered by the daughter of the piano
owner who said her mother had just died two days earlier.  (I expressed my
condolences.)  Since then I've made a habit of reviewing the local
obituary, but it is impossible to always know if a piano client is recently
deceased.

   Is there an established protocol that RPT's follow when a client
dies?  Is it customary to send a card?  How do you minimize the obvious
awkwardness of the situation while on the phone?

Carman Gentile RPT
Redwood Chapter