Help with squeaky pedals

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 6 06:07:06 MDT 2006

Squeaks that come and go can be due to pushing the pedal down with some slight sideways pressure.  Push the pedal straight down: no squeak.  Push it slightly to the right or left: there's the squeak.  Maybe that will help you in at least making the squeak to happen in your presence.  (Can't fix something you can't witness!)

  When I am told there's a squeak or click, and lo and behold, once I'm there it's gone, I stand up proudly and announce, "There!  I fixed it!  Just by showing up!"  That way, the client thinks, "He may be incompetent, but he's got a sense of humor."

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago

Mark's Piano Service <mps at usol.com> wrote:
          Help please!
  You may remember a few weeks ago when I asked for any help replacing the rubber grommets at the base of the pedals on a Horugel Grand.
  I was given some very good advice as to how to do this. The squeak (caused by the deteriorate rubber grommets) disappeared when I replaced them with buckskin.
  The pastors wife was happy with those results for a couple weeks and then the squeak returned.
  I spoke with her tonight and scheduled a service call for this Sat. 7-8-06
  I am at a loss on this one.
  The squeak comes and goes. On more than one occasion when she called me to have this fixed, I arrived at the church only to find that there was no squeak.
  As I do not doubt a clients word (my goal is to satisfy all clients) I am extremely puzzled regarding this one.
  When I was there last, I went ahead and  replaced some of the other "soon to wear out" pieces of buckskin in the trap workings.
  I glued them in place with CA glue. (buckskin to wood). Did I use the wrong glue perhaps?
  I certainly can't charge for this as the problem is not being resolved. I am looking incompetent!
  Can you help???
  Any tips/suggestions welcome
  Thanks in advance

  Mark