Church situation

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 6 08:34:48 MDT 2006

Do an hourly rate; well maintained pianos tune
quickly.  I did a full two-pass pitch correction
(weather) on a D in less than two hours and it
has stabile through a "barn-storming"
concert.  Irregular customers want to know
exactly how much it will cost.  Regular customers
will appreciate not being flat-fee'd.
That one month trial period should make clear to
them what you will cost on an hourly basis.  You
could say that your flat-fee is this but that you
figure hourly would be cheaper on a well
maintained piano and keep track of the time and show them how it works.
Really this should involve more than just
tuning.  Assess the piano frankly when you review
it.  Its current condition may not be due to the
previous technician.  You may be the
20-mile-expert that convinces them to get the job
done right by confirming what the previous
technician had been telling them.  With regular
playing there should be some occasional sugar
coating of the hammers and annual technicals to
keep the action at its best.  There should be
matched spare bass strings stored ready to
replace any that break (tieing is great when it
is possible) and a spare set of hammer shanks &
flanges as well as whippens would be wise (moving
A0 whippen up to F4 will get you through in a pinch but isn't ideal).

Good Luck,
Andrew

At 07:04 AM 7/6/2006, you wrote:
>Hello List,
>
>Can you help?  I have situation that I have
>never had before and need some wisdom on how to proceed.
>
>A large local church called me and asked for a
>proposal to tune their sanctuary piano.  The
>tuner that they did have was a member of the
>church and tuned it every week
.yes every