Church situation

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jul 6 13:51:52 MDT 2006

Brian - Mostly good suggestions so far. I'll share what experience I have. I tune 16 Yamaha C3s biweekly. Half the pianos are about two years old and the others are maybe five or six. These pianos are on two large cruise ships - 7 on one and 9 on the other. The AC is generally on 24/7 and the pianos are very stable. On the biweekly visits, I find that 25% of the pianos can get by with two or three unisons tweaked. 50% of the pianos will need a bunch of unisons tweaked. And maybe 25% of them will need a thorough tuning because the pitch in the treble or low tenor has wandered too much.

My per-piano-visit fee for these pianos is about 50% of my regular tuning fee. I commonly work about three hours or so to tune eight pianos - it works out to something pretty close to my normal per-hour tuning rate.

Your church may be quite a bit different - or not. Much will depend on climate control and if it is on 24/7. What kind/age/condition piano is it? How picky are they? The service I describe above for my cruise ship pianos results in 16 pianos that are pretty darn "decent" all of the time - not to suggest in any way, shape or form that they are always in a state of "concert tune". If your church folks want perfection and the piano is maybe less than stellar and climate varies a bit - you may find that a pretty thorough tuning is required every two weeks.

I would suggest using your trial month to determine exactly what state of "in-tune-ness" they are looking for, how much time you need to spend to meet their needs, and how climactic influences might affect things.

Hope this helps.

Terry Farrell