Clavichord

Dave Smith dsmith941 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 6 16:41:32 MDT 2006

Joey, I built a clavichord years ago, and tuning it was interesting.  Increasing finger pressure on the key changes the pitch upward ( Making possible the vibrato effect on the clavichord.). So you have to tune at a consistent pressure or volume.  Preferebly lower.  This is a challenge because of the VERY quiet nature ot the instrument.

On the easier side, you dont have to worry about inharmonicity.  Just tune octaves as purely as possible once the temperment is set.

Dave
Smith

SW FL