post pitch-raise creep?

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Sun Jul 9 10:02:10 MDT 2006

Hi,
I would tend to agree with the 40% overpull only in the way you are using it  (tuning only one center string) and then unisons, then the  bass, but only on younger pianos and with a limit of 30 cents under pitch. to help avoid string breakage.
I find that measuring A2 and taking half that value on my SAT lll,  gives me a bass only a few cents off. Then remeasure at the tenor break and at B4, first treble, and C6.
The result usually is a piano that sings again, with just a little touch up on a pitch raise of up to 30 cents,
Some times it is the bass that needs raised to the tenor, and other times the tenor needs adjusting either up or down. Then another fine tuning and string seating in one month when the owner gets their next pay check <g>.
Some times one gets lucky up to 50 cents but usually it is a two pass deal over 30 cents.
Oh yes, C7 to the top I tune so that the right string ( first tuned ) middle string (second tuned ) are just a tad sharp of what the red lights show is the target.
Then the left is tuned to the stopped lights. By the time the left string is pounded in the other strings have fallen, and if I am lucky, match the last tuned string.
"Different Strokes" <G>
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr at srvinet.com