Tuning

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 9 20:38:56 MDT 2006

I have followed a goodly number of the better tuners in the city, and know
which pianos were tuned with a computer and which were tuned aurally, and
normally there is significant inconsistency in the low and the high on aural
tunings.    James Kozak, tuner for the Houston Symphony, a marvelous aural
tuner says, "These things are made of wood and felt. NOTHING stays stable
for long, so splitting hairs is just not appropriate."    He's tuned quite
successfully for the best in the world, and I have to say I agree with him.
For all but the very few of the top echelon, the machine is generally more
accurate than the ear in this day and age.  With about 100 different tuning
settings in ET that are possible with Tunelab, I seem to have been able to
satisfy a fair number of different musical dispositions, so I trust the
machine very much.  Final deal, if it sounds good it is good. If it sounds
bad it isn't good............
les bartlett
www.bartlettpianoservice.com

   _____