post pitch-raise creep?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jul 10 08:29:42 MDT 2006

Interesting indeed Bob. I typically spend about 45 minutes doing a
significant pitch raise (PR) and then about an hour tuning. My observation
is that most techs claim to do (and I presume do) a pitch raise in 20
minutes or so - some as quick as 10 minutes. Some even do what might be
called a "blind" PR where you figure out about how much of a pin turn is
needed for the PR and then you just yank each pin that much and I guess
cross your fingers (or at least that is what I would do).

But the thing I don't get with these quick PRs is that for a fine tuning,
you really want the notes to be within about two cents of your target. I
find that when I am raising the pitch 20 or 50 or however many cents, I need
to make a couple motions of my lever to get within two cents of target (and
I think I make a more stable tuning if I settle the string a bit). How can
that be done in one quick motion?

Now kids, don't beat me up too terribly badly. I know I don't wield the
fastest tuning lever in the west (or east or south or anywhere for that
matter). But it seems to me that to provide an accurate stable tuning that
you want to be making minimal pin movements during the fine tuning pass -
and be starting with a string that is fairly stable - and that means you
want the strings to be within a couple cents at most of target. And I don't
see how that can be done during a 15 minute PR (at least by me - hey, I
can't figure out how anyone can ride a unicycle either).

Be nice.

Terry Farrell