Grand Touch

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Tue Jul 11 09:21:16 MDT 2006

Hi Ric,
               You have good down and up weight, so friction does not seem
to be a problem.   Excessive after touch can lead to this kind of problem.
Two causes:  1.  The height of the balance rail hole is too tall. It needs
to be 4mm on a spruce key, or 3mm if the key has a maple shoe at the base
of the  BR hole.  ( My bet on the cause)    2. Very soft or springy FR
cloth punching's

1.    When the hole is too tall your fingers start to feel the key binding
as the wall of the hole starts to jam against the balance rail pin, at the
bottom of the key stroke. It will make refined after touch all but
impossible to achieve. Forte supply sells a reaming tool so you can ream
the  BR.  The tip is 4mm in length. (A pic was post on the list about 2
months ago. I'm on the road and the pics are on my desk top)
Hold your finger firmly on the bottom of the hole and ream away until you
just feel the tip touch your finger.

The balance rail holes may have been over eased with a Yamaha style reamer
to solve the problem.   As such the hole may be over sized to mask the
problem.  This leads to a  tendency to chuck.
Lay a damp cloth over the holes and iron the cloth with a hot iron to swell
them up. Ideally leave them out of the piano for 24hrs.
Refit keys to action and size holes as required.

You most certainly will have to reset the dip. 9.5mm to 10mm is where I
would expect to see it. The piano should  regulate well with about 0.020"
after touch, and the key sitting in good contact with the FR punching.

2.  Installing Crescendo punching's from Forte supply will make the after
touch very well defined and will enable you to shorten the dip a
little.  Well worth the money on this quality of piano.
I have recently returned from the Petrof factory and voiced my concern,
that both these items were a problem. They are now looking to make changes.

Hope this helps.
Regards Roger