Regulation Problem with New Parts

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 11 09:06:19 MDT 2006

Dear Friends:
    I have a Knabe baby grand that has been rebuilt/refinished with new wippens and shanks/hammers.  The problem is that that the knuckles push the jack into the cushion as it rebounds.   There's no room for the jack to move.  Even if I change the dip/blow distance, the problem is not solved.  When the key is fully depressed, you can't "wink" the jack with your finger because it's pressed against the jack cushion in the window.  The only thing I can guess is that the knuckle needs to be moved away from the flange, or maybe a smaller knuckle.  The action feels "squshy".  The piano belongs to the store I work for, and I would like to make suggestions to my boss as to what needs to be done.  I hesitate to recommend a whole new set of parts, but this thing isn't going to get better without them.  I'm not set up for rebuilding, and I don't do much action replacement, so I need some feedback from you all to help solve this problem.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego

pmc033 at earthlink.net