Service Refusal

Ted Simmons tsimmons4 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jul 11 16:57:34 MDT 2006

A couple of years ago I was called to tune a piano that the lady bought from
a neighbor.  When I entered the house there was a nice black, early '70's
Steinway 41² upright against the wall.  A welcome sight, but when I opened
it I found that all of the tuning pins and strings were rusty.  Many strings
were broken and their ends sticking out.  I told the lady that this piano
couldn¹t be tuned and explained to her why.  She asked how much it would
cost for new strings and when I gave her my quote she said that she couldn¹t
afford that and would have her husband roll the piano out to the curb for
the trash collectors.  I put my hands together to make a time-out signal and
asked her how much she paid for the piano.  She said $200.00.  I told her
I¹d give her $200.00 for it and take it off her hands.  She was elated.

A year or so later, I had replaced the strings and tuning pins, tuned and
regulated the piano and hauled it into my office where it sits today.  It
looks really nice and plays very well.

Ted Simmons
Viera, Florida