post pitch-raise creep?

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 11 20:59:55 MDT 2006

Hi, John.

I have a theory for why it goes sharp when you press. You are adding
tension to the speaking length in excess of the friction under the capo,
and therefore the tension between the capo and the tuning pin is
increased. When you release the pressure on the speaking length, the
excess tension on the pin side of the capo pulls the string high, and
the friction under the capo prevents the two segments from completely
equalizing without further encouragement. And, voila.

My guess as to why the same thing doesn't happen in the agraffe sections
is that the understring felt adds more friction between the agraffe and
the tuning pin, and you are not applying enough additional tension to
the speaking length to overcome it, so the segment does not store
additional tension, even though some may have tried to sneak through.

Just a guess, though.

-Mark Schecter