Inertia, was "Grand Touch"

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Wed Jul 12 07:54:24 MDT 2006

Cars on a road course have to quickly change direction.  Viewed from above,
they pivot around their centers as they turn left and right.  When the
five-mile-an-hour bumper law was passed around 1976, it greatly reduced the
cornering ability of many cars, especially the MG.  Hanging big weights at
the extreme ends of the car, it made it much harder to change direction.
Think of the spinning ice skater with arms in vs. arms out.  I believe it's
called "polar moment of inertia", and I'll bet Dr. Birkett has it all
spelled out in his PDF.

--Cy--
shusterpiano.com