Inertia, was "Grand Touch"

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Jul 12 16:41:09 MDT 2006

Hi Cy,

Haven't read Stephen's paper yet.  Will tonight, then, more questions, I'm
sure.  However, just my intuitive take with your example.

Consider the other option, and how they compare.  I do not dispute that
installing weights at the end of the car (key) increase inertia.  I only
question whether inertia would be different in the case of hanging a small
weight at the end of the car (key) vs. installing slightly more mass near
the pivot point.  Since the pianist feels/activates the key somewhere near
the end of the stick (for arguments sake), it would seem that the FW of the
key would be the point at which we take a mass reading to compute inertia in
a played key, since some of that mass (regardless of placement) is supported
at the balance rail.

Just my musings.  God I love this kind of stuff!  Awful fun to learn from
you all.

William R. Monroe