Inertia, was "Grand Touch"

Michael Spalding spalding48 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 12 08:07:15 MDT 2006

William,

Vladan is correct.  The mass vs  force concepts are, unfortunately, not
intuitive.  It's not made any easier by the fact that we use the same units
for both mass and force.  (real physicists use different units)  The
readings you refer to, taken at the front of the key, are force (or weight,
if you will).  A given value of key front weight could be the result of an
infinite number of combinations of mass and distance from the fulcrum.
Might be a large mass close to the fulcrum, might be a smaller mass further
from the fulcrum.  So measuring front weight does not tell us the mass.  To
determine the rotational moment of inertia, it is necessary to know where
the mass is, and how big it is.

Computing the rotational moment of inertia of a complex solid involves
breaking the solid up into tiny bits, determining the mass and radius of
each bit, multiplying the mass of each bit times the square of the radius,
and adding these products all together.  Taken to the extreme of an
infinite number of infinitessimal bits, this is called integral calculus.

In our discussion of key leading, we simplify.  We consider each lead as a
mass at a single point, and multiply its mass by the square of the radius
to the center of the lead.  We consider the moment of inertia of the key to
be insignificantly small, or at least fixed and unalterable therefore
irrelevant.   Not a problem, since we are interested in the practical
effects of changing the location and or quantity of lead in an existing key.

Follow the link to Dr. Birkett's paper.
http://real.uwaterloo.ca/~sbirkett/key%20balance.pdf
This was a revelation to me.  I had assumed that minimizing inertia was the
goal, but as he points out, player preference based on control, power,
fatigue, etc. may point to some other configuration.

Mike