Inertia, was "Grand Touch"

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Jul 12 17:12:39 MDT 2006

Comments below:

> William,
>
> Vladan is correct.  The mass vs  force concepts are, unfortunately, not
> intuitive.  It's not made any easier by the fact that we use the same units
> for both mass and force.  (real physicists use different units)  The
> readings you refer to, taken at the front of the key, are force (or weight,
> if you will).  A given value of key front weight could be the result of an
> infinite number of combinations of mass and distance from the fulcrum.
> Might be a large mass close to the fulcrum, might be a smaller mass further
> from the fulcrum.  So measuring front weight does not tell us the mass.  To
> determine the rotational moment of inertia, it is necessary to know where
> the mass is, and how big it is.

Right, I agree.  My question is more directed at the concept of whether more mass closer to the fulcrum yields a different MOI than less mass farther from the fulcrum.  Is the fact that some of the weight of the key/lead combination is supported at the fulcrum at all relevant in our real world example where the pianist plays at the front of the key?  That is, if we change the point at which we apply the force on the key, will that alter our calculations of inertia?

Also, to Vladan (anyone) again, in your example of the two differing leads at different places, my brief experimenting seems to support this concept.  That is, I just weighed off a keystick and tared the scale to zero with no weights added.  Adding a 10g weight at 5cm from the fulcrum gave me a FW of 3.5g.  To get the same 3.5g FW with a 5g weight, that weight needed to be not 10cm, but 11.9cm from the fulcrum.

So, following your example calculations, I have:
10g*5cm*5cm = 250gcm^2
vs.
5g*11.9cm*11.9cm = 708.1gcm^2

Egads, it's worse than I thought.  A much greater inertia with less weight further from the fulcrum, as you predicted, with same FW.  Now, I only question if this is the appropriate formula for calculating this relationship.  I'm not suggesting you are wrong, I simply don't have as clear an understanding of all that we should consider for this problem.  As I said, I'll go read Stephen's paper now, and see what I can glean from that.

Thanks,
This is fun,
William R. Monroe