Service Refusal

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jul 12 08:45:09 MDT 2006

GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Boy, I see how these posts get kinda misinterpreted after a few rounds.

In my original post I did elude to the fact that I have run across other similar pianos, and explained to the owners about why I though it might not be worth putting any money into, and then most often they agree that we should not service the piano. In other cases, where I didn't think it was a smart decision to do anything with the piano, but the piano could be tuned, and the owner wanted it tuned, I tuned it.

This was simply the first time someone insisted on tuning a piano that, IMHO, could not be tuned. IMHO, to not tune a piano that can't be tuned is productive - anything else would be unproductive.

Further, in no way shape or form did I "just walk away and say, "Call someone else" without a careful explanation". I spent at least 20 minutes explaining about regulation (bobbling hammers), rusted strings, loose tuning pins, cracked bridges, etc., etc. And then, because she wanted it (too long to explain why), I vacuumed out the inside of the piano for her. I was there just short of an hour. I drove 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back. I charged her $20.

She got good advice, a lesson in piano innards, a cleaner piano, a smile, an apology for having to refuse to tune her piano (my professional ethics and standard simply would not allow me to) - a lengthy explanation of why I wouldn't/couldn't tune the piano - all for 20 bucks. A darn good deal IMHO.

Grrrrrrrr.  ;-)

Terry Farrell

PS: And Mike, I'm not trying to lecture you - these posts are easy to misinterpret - perhaps I am even misinterpreting yours!