Digital calipers

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Wed Jul 12 12:32:11 MDT 2006

In a message dated 7/12/2006 10:55:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
collin.s at skynet.be writes:
Methink, a caliper is not accurate enough.
True, but they are wonderful if a few thousandths accuracy is good enough. I
bought a 6" dial caliper some years back, and used it so much I bought two
more - one to leave at the table saw/planer, one in general use in the shop, and
one in my kit. They're great for measuring screws and other small parts,
deciding on drill bits (measure the shank diameter of a screw, then the shank
inside the threads, then decide which bits to use for pilots), and for checking on
wood thickness where +/- .005 is not a problem.
Also for quickly measuring the depth and inside diameter of holes, checking
to see if you're using the right thickness pinblock stock, etc. I wouldn't be
without.

Bob Davis