Inertia, was "Grand Touch"

V T pianovt at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 18:30:12 MDT 2006

Hi William,

The formula is for the rotational inertia.  I just
posted another reply that goes into more detail.  The
short answer is: it does matter where you put the lead
if you are concerned about inertia, but not if you are
only looking at balance weight.

Vladan

=================================
William R. Monroe wrote:

I don't have my book handy, is this the formula for
tangential MOI, or
linear?

I'm assuming tangential.

Also, I would question your results (in a friendly
way).  I would think you
would be taking the mass reading for the formula at
the front of the key, as
you would take FW.  Thus, Mass would be mass of the
keystick, not mass of
the individual lead.  In this case, regardless how
much mass you use (more,
near the balance hole, or less near the front), the
Mass as measured at the
front of the key is going to be the same, thus,
equivalent inertia at the
front of the key.

Comments?

William R. Monroe