Voicing

David Lawson dlawson at davidlawsonspianos.com.au
Fri Jul 14 17:25:18 MDT 2006

G'day Friends.
Whilst voicing a new Kawai K-3 model the other day I got thinking about this age old question of needling the front of the hammer. We were always taught that it was a no no, right?
Well there are times when you just have to, and this job I was doing required it. By going by the book, I would have achieved nothing, where as, a very tiny touch to the string indentation did the job I required, after I had carried out the 'correct' procedure, that is.
Am I getting frowns from all and sundry about this, or is it acceptable by some of you to go out of the square? My belief is that as long as you don't go crazy and damage the fibres of the hammer, you are doing no harm, just improving the tone.
Over to you.
David Lawson.  Wangaratta.  Australia.