Voicing

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 17:52:09 MDT 2006

I assume you mean the "top" of the hammer, not the "front".  Needling the
top is common practice.  How and if you should needle the top will depend on
the type of hammer.  Deep needling straight down through the crown isn't a
good idea on most types of hammers, but on a lacquered NY Steinway hammer it
may be necessary.   Some hammers are just so damn hard that there is no
choice but to needle the crown or under the crown.  Shallow needling on the
crown is common and acceptable under all conditions to temper the attack.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com