money issues - was Fujan lever/lightweight tuning levers

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 15 16:14:24 MDT 2006

Haha...!  Your letter reminds me of a gambling strategy a friend of mine once offered up to me.  He said, "Only gamble with your winnings.  See, first you win...then you..."

  If I had EXTRA money at the other times of the year to do any of the things you suggest...

  Not to complain.  This is easily my best year ever, and each year gets better and better.  I've only been doing this for 10 years and we have tuners on every street corner around here.

  But I could sell some stuff...I wonder how much I could get for the cat?  (That would reduce my monthly nut, too.  No cat litter expenses, food, vet, etc.)

  Tom

"John M. Formsma" <john at formsmapiano.com> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Sell some stuff - like an ETD and you’ll have some extra money. Selling my Verituner earlier this year paid for my convention trip and allowed me to buy some tools that were more needed than it was.

  Yes, it’s the bottom of the cycle here too. Usually January is my best month. Irregular income earners like us should save some of our money for the lean times of the year.

  For instance, I pay myself 75% of my gross income. The rest stays in the business account to cover taxes, tools, and supplies. This way, we’re not scraping around for $$ when we need to purchase some tools or some other business item.

  Then, I have $700/month drafted into my emergency fund (money market account). I have a 6-month emergency fund so I can live for a while without earning an income should that ever happen. (Or, if there’s a medical emergency or whatever.) Also, part of that $700/month is being saved for my next car purchase. We typically pay around $400/month for a car loan, so why not pay ourselves that every month so we actually have the CASH to PAY FOR a car when it’s needed? I kind of like the idea of saving $2K or more of interest. You can buy a lot of tools then. ;-)

  OK, off me soapbox
.

  JF