Key Bushing Method, was: Key flexing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jul 17 05:41:28 MDT 2006

> My key bushing experience is limited to rebushing old keys with the
> original key buttons using the Spurlock method. Unless I'm really
> too-pid, the only way one is going to bush the center rail mortises on
> that type of key setup is from the top.

As far as I know, yes.

>Now I realize you used new
> buttons and that is likely the difference. Did you bush them before
> button installation? Did you bush from the bottom? If so, why? What
> would be the advantage?

I'd made the buttons in groups, so it seemed reasonable to
bush them that way too, before installation. Doing it from the
bottom was really quick and neat, and I didn't have to trim as
I went. Guaranteed all the bushings are the same depth too.

> Don't you do anything the "proper way"? You know, the way the original
> masters did it?   ;-)

But that's (sort-of) the way they WERE done originally.

<G>
Ron N