Tuning for Correctional Institute

Auraltuner at aol.com Auraltuner at aol.com
Tue Jul 18 20:54:41 MDT 2006

I tune for a correctional institution and there are indeed  restrictions.

First of all, you must have a complete inventory of everything you take  in.
This includes every tool, bottle,needle etc.  You can put an  assortment of
punchings and felts in a plastic bag and inventory it as an  assortment.  You
must unpack everything before you enter and show it, item  by item, to a guard
(who checks it off of the inventory).  Anything you  take in must be taken out
with you.  If you lose something, you don't get  out until you find it.  They
take your drivers license when you enter and  you don't get it back until
they are satisfied you have everything.  You  may not take a knife in.  Odly, you
may take a razor blade.  The  prison I service is medium security.  The
inmates wear blue.  You may  not wear blue.

Obviously this is a great pain.  I take a special stripped-down kit  with me.
 The chaplain tells me in advance what services are to be  performed.  If you
are into public service though, imagine the inmate who  plays for church
services and only gets to talk with a piano technician once a  year or so. If he
has a problem, he puts up with it for a year.

I refused to service for the lock-up several times, but a good friend who
does social work inside the walls persuaded me to put up with the  nusiance.  It
really isn't much bother once you get into the routine.

Dave