1890s WNG Action Geometry

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Jul 19 05:16:18 MDT 2006

>Move the dowel/capstan around until you achieve the balance weight you want.

I have to disagree with this statement.  KR is optimally derived by
regulation parameters
not weight.  With a given knuckle radius, hammer bore, hammer blow and key dip;
there is a KR which lifts the wippen through optimal distance.  That
is, to have the jack
in close proximity to the knuckle at full dip and not pressed into
the rep. stop felt or
bobbling on the knuckle.

Once ideal regulation specs are configured, you can manipulate FW to target BW.

One would get a really low KR if one were to establish BW via KR with
a heavy SW.

Once you get the mechanism operating properly and the BW is too high, consider
lowering SW, increasing FW or installing wippen assist springs.

Finessing weight is the polish, attending to the mechanics is the foundation.

When I set up for new parts, key dip is known, hammer bore is known,
blow distance
is known. I select a knuckle radius and KR which produces the lowest
friction and BW
while producing an optimum regulation, it is a bit of a juggling act
but a decision can
be made by making regulation a priority.

Once the parts are installed and the action regulated, it's time to
fine tune the BW.

Hammer weight selection should be more of a consideration in BW than KR.
--

Regards,

Jon Page