tuning pin torque

David Chadwick chadwick61 at cox.net
Thu Jul 20 07:40:49 MDT 2006

Greetings,

 I have a new S&S "D" that I need to measure the pin torque and I've been looking in all the literature I have, searched the pianotech archives and I have found no information on what would be acceptable ft/lb readings. Also, should I have the wire at the proper tension or should I get a reading with the wire removed?

I'm ashamed to say that I have never performed pin torque evaluation before. For a proper evaluation should I take readings in every gauge of the scale?  I really have no idea what the proper procedure is to give a understandable evaluation for the factory to use to determine the component condition.

The "D" is a Roger Williams instrument that was built this year and pin tightness is minimal to the point of almost untunable.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

David Chadwick
Las Vegas