tuning pin torque

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jul 20 10:15:50 MDT 2006

There will certainly be some variation of opinion on what "acceptable" tuning pin torque might be, but maybe about 60 to 150 in.-lbs. (note: inch-pounds, not foot-pounds) will yield a reasonable-tuning piano. When you get up in the 200 in.-lb. range (like some new Baldwins, etc.) those pins are so tight that it is difficult to fine tune the piano. Likewise, as torque falls below 50 in.-lbs. or so, the pin might still hold pitch (at least for a while), but it is hard to control/tune because it is so loose. Many would pick the 80 - 120 in.-lb. tuning pin torque as being ideal.

To measure torque accurately, it would be ideal to have the string off the pin. Simply move the pin both ways with a torque wrench and note the resistance to movement. If the string is on the pin, move it both ways - it will give a higher reading pulling the pitch up and lower reading when lowering the pitch - and average the two measurements together - that, theoretically, should yield the same torque value as having no string at all.

Hmmmm... how's the weather in Las Vagas this time of year? Looooowwwww humidity? What kind of environmental conditions is the piano being exposed to?

BTW: What is a "Roger Williams instrument"?

Terry Farrell