tuning pin torque

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jul 20 13:21:00 MDT 2006

A torque wrench bought at an auto supply store will be calibrated in foot-pounds. The torque wrench I have for measuring tuning pin torque is calibrated in inch-pounds. I think a safe assumption is that tuning pin torque wrenches sold by piano supply houses are calibrated in inch-pounds.

Terry Farrell
  Thus it seems the common unit we use is simply the string tension (150 lbs.), while the proper (?) equivalent in torque would be 18.75 "pound-inches".  Yet the torque wrenches we use for tuning pins are calibrated in pounds... right?
  --Cy--