tuning pin torque

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 21 00:53:16 MDT 2006

Hi, Cy. In your quote below, I would point out that Don's example talks
about the turning force (torque) exerted on the pin by the tension of
the string. What he says is clear and correct, but the particular
pound-feet numbers in his example don't pertain to measuring the torque
required to turn a pin against the friction of the block, the subject of
David's original question.

I guess I'm trying to clarify something about usage of the term
"torque". We often seem to talk about torque, as if torque is an
attribute a pin block has when a pin is sitting in its hole, more or
less the equivalent of friction. But torque, in piano tuners' context,
expresses how much force it takes to turn the pin against the combined
load of string tension (if present) and friction in the block.

So, regarding your last question, the common unit cannot simply be the
string tension, and tension doesn't equate to torque. But tension can
supply the force portion of torque, if the tension is trying to rotate
something around a center. The lever length supplies the distance
portion of torque.

Multiply the pounds reading on the torque wrench by the length of the
handle in feet or inches to get pound-feet or pound-inches.

-Mark Schecter

  snip