Erratic Keypins

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Jul 21 13:01:33 MDT 2006

Hi Terry,

Sounds like a great opportunity to bring some pleasure back to playing for someone.

I think I'd probably replace the rail.

With your set-up, (and since you suggest that the wood around the pins may be less than solid (contaminated?)) it's probably just as easy, if not easier, to duplicate the front rail, no?  Make a paper pattern of the hole locations once the pins are pulled and transfer.

If it were only a few pins, I might plug and redrill, but if it's most of the front rail, you'd be pulling all the pins, place a straightedge to fit and scribe a good line from one end to the other of the front rail on the centers of the holes (are the holes in line, just bent, or are the holes not evenly drilled?).  Filling with Lake One (or the repair resin of your choice) redrilling, and installing new pins.  I honestly think it'd be less work to duplicate the rail.

My 10 cent PR,
William R. Monroe