Erratic Keypins

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jul 21 13:27:42 MDT 2006

> I'm working on a grand action where the keypins appear new/recent and
> are at all sorts of angles - many leaning forward and actually catching
> the key mortise edge. 40% of them you can wiggle quite a bit with your
> finger (like 1 mm movement at the top easily). Wood around pins feels
> almost spongy - like someone treated the darn thing with the pinblock
> dope of yesteryear (but no stains - don't really think anyone did
> that). Most pins pull out quite easily. This thing is a mess. I've been
> bending a few pins, etc., to make things function, but this is otherwise
> a very nice piano and these pins are total BS. I can't feel right
> applying 73 bandages to this instrument.
>
> The only thing I can think of doing to make things right is to either
> replace the key frame front rail and drill new holes or plug the
> original and redrill. Anybody tackle this task before? Anyone have any
> other wise ideas (constructive-wise, not smart-alleky-wise!)?
>
> Thanks. Scary pictures available upon request.
>
> Terry Farrell

Since you say the pins look new, I think I'd pull a few of the
really slanty ones and look in the hole first to see if
someone dropped in a chunk of ?something? to shim out the hole
when the new pins weren't tight. If so, I'd clean out the
holes and drive the new pin back in with a sliver of veneer in
the front or back side of the hole. Then I'd either CA, or
epoxy the whole mess from the top, heating with a heat gun if
epoxy was used, to soak up and solidify the soft wood. I just
had an action with too soft front rail wood, where I couldn't
space the keys without making the pins loose.    A good CA
soaking did the trick on this one.

If that didn't work, I'd inlay a strip, or two, in the front
rail and re-drill.
Ron N