tuning pin torque

David Chadwick chadwick61 at cox.net
Sun Jul 23 07:50:15 MDT 2006

Greetings,
Thanks to everyone who responded to my query. I have ordered a torque wrench from my brother ( a Cornwell tool dealer) to measure in/lbs. I have not done any previous tuning on the piano. I will be doing a first time evaluation to the pin tightness condition so I will do my best to give a report on the entire pin field for the builder. I think Patrick's advice on taking measurements with it strung close to proper tension is going to be the best situation for this condition. After all, that is operating tension needed to maintain tonal functions so whatever load is added to the pin should be considered. Terry, thanks for the figures that give me the general area to work with. I would also like to talk at length (in another thread perhaps) with what Stephane speaks about regarding the feel of the pin torque and what would be the comfort zone for smooth feel without jumping or having to trick the pin into holding because of less than acceptable pin tightness.

I have been trying to send some photo's of the piano but my message keeps getting kicked back to me because of it's size. I'll try to send them separately

My thanks to everyone. I'll comment on my findings soon.

David Chadwick
Las Vegas