tuning pin torque

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 08:12:25 MDT 2006

On 7/23/06, David Chadwick <chadwick61 at cox.net> wrote:

> I have not done
> any previous tuning on the piano.

Aside from the thorough measurement of pin torque that you're planning
on doing, I do hope you will be tuning the instrument as well. While
hard numbers are difficult to argue with, there's a great deal that
you can learn about the piano as you tune, even if the words one uses
to describe it may be compartatively subjective.
And yes, we're eager for the photos! If they're big send them to files at ptg.org.
Also, I think in the interest of fairness (or thoroughness) I think it
is important to measure the RH accurately, probably with a sling
psychlometer (sp?). And a good idea of what extremes the piano may go
through daily (searing stage lights, constant or intermittent intense
blasts of frigid AC, etc.).
Good luck and happy investigations,
Patrick Draine