tuning pin torque

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 23 09:40:41 MDT 2006

David,
RH greatly affects tuning pin torque.  50-60 % may read OK while 8%
will read inadequate.  You may have to re-measure again in the dry
season.  That is way to wide a swing.  This piano needs a cover and a
DC Piano-Life-Saver-System under it.  That swing will destroy
pinblocks, soundboard, bridges (bridge-pinning) etc.  There are daily
(temperature related) swings that also affect the tuning.  The DC
system will control those and allow the piano to be in a
concert-quality tuning for more of the time.  If they won't keep a
cover on it, get them to use an Edwards string-cover.  The wool will
(on its own) help to contain humidity swings and with the DC system
protect the entire piano, extending the conditioned environment into
the action cavity.  Without this added protection you are facing an
impossibility.  I suspect the numbers you have provided will negate
any warranty.

Good luck,
Andrew Anderson