Story and Clark not tuned for 30 years!!

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 18:51:20 MDT 2006

On 7/23/06, Samuel Choy <sam at scpianoservice.com> wrote:

> The piano tuning curriculum I took, The American School of Piano Tuning,
> recommended against it. From the replies I've received on this post, though,
> it seems that is unnecessary if you take the proper care.
> Sam Choy

As others have mentioned avail yourself of all additional sources of
information -- particularly the past 25 or so years of the Piano
Technicians Journal (on CDs), and PTG seminars (especially the annual
Institute).
And lots of practice!! You should start a relationship with some
dealer or even a piano mover such that you'll have access to a number
of older pianos which are direly in need of major pitch raises. Do
this kind of wholesale work -- quite possibly very very cheap -- and
you'll get experience and confidence in your pitch raising ability.
It's best to avoid experimenting on customers' pianos. There's a
reason why there are schools of piano technology with one year (and
sometimes more) of practice, instruction, and practice under
supervision.
Best wishes,
Patrick Draine