Upright damper work - newbie seeks opinions, please . . .

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Tue Jul 25 08:45:30 MDT 2006

Greetings,

            I would think that a 1957 model piano , unless its been played
the heck out of or near extreme moist or heat/hot conditions, shouldnt need new
damper levers or blocks. With out seeing the situation, I would say just
replace the felts.

            In an old turn of the century upright, I can see possibly because
of years and years of dried out wood and/or the center pin centers are loose,
or a moist condition where the damper head block glue was compromised, or so
much use that the springs are bad, then  yes perhaps you want to replace the
heads or even whole lever. My father who was an auto mechanic taught me a
valuable lesson: dont fix what aint broke.

           TO test if the damper springs are still decent, press on the piano
string, the damper should follow the string, if nopt the springs are shot.

Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA

In a message dated 7/25/2006 2:08:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,