American School of Piano Tuning

Wayne Walker wayne.w at musicstop.com
Wed Jul 26 07:04:59 MDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne M. Williams [HYPERLINK
"mailto:wwilliams11 at nycap.rr.com"mailto:wwilliams11 at nycap.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 6:12 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: American School of Piano Tuning

Dear Wayne,
I have been working on this Kranich and Bach piano for some time. I have
two
nicknames for it:
1. Pandora's Box(in that every time you open it sometihing new goes
wrong,
and
2. The piano from hell (self explantory)

I first leveled all the keys. Now the action no longer fits on them (or
lines up properly). I found some wiggling hammers and dampers. Tried to
replace them, but couls not find any parts to match. I guess I could
rebush
them, but they are really "shot" and I would rather just replace them.
By levelling the keys you have change the position of the capstain.
Depending on the capstains you may be able to bent the wire (to
re-position them) if they are that type.
I chatted on the phone noted piano tech Dick Dante, He told me that a
Kranich and Bach needs to be completely restored in order to work
properly.
On the other hand, the K+B grands are high quality intruments.  Go
figure.

thank for writing back. Do you need any more tuners in Sydney? Let me
know.

The customer may have to realize it is time to replace the piano or do
some major work if it is worth it. Sometimes working on instrument like
these can hurt your reputation, no matter what you or any other tech can
do make any better. Like I said in earlier post Mike has the whole of
Cape Breton Island to himself.

Wayne Walker
Piano Tuner / Technician
Musicstop Acoustic Piano Service