A 435 or A 440 ?

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Thu Jul 27 01:21:16 MDT 2006

Hey there Jack !

In attempt to get back to your primary question,  the fact of the matter
is that well over 90 %  of the general population (including a high
percentage of ear tuners) will not be able to discern whether the piano
is tuned to 435 unless they compare the tuning to some pitch source. Of
the few that are able to, few again of these will have an issue with the
difference unless the application dictates some particular pitch.

If the piano is structurally ok to take 440, then by all means tune to
440 if there is some specific need.  Typically this means the piano is
to be played along with some instrument with a pre-determined pitch
range like woodwinds or brass instruments.  If there is no specific need
then I wouldnt worry about it either way.

The 440 standard is otherwise one which is best to adhere too.... simply
to provide a standard pitch for all instruments.  Tho again... truth is
a huge proportion of the customer world doesnt give a hoot nor has any
specific needs in this regard as a general rule.  That said I, and most
other professional technicians I know encourage 440 (or 442 here in
Europe) in nearly all instances for the sake of standards.

Cheers
RicB

Hello

I am working on a Mason and Risch grand piano and the plate has a stamp
that says  " International Pitch A 435" .

Is it best to tune this piano to A 435 ?

The mother tells me the daughter has perfect pitch. She is away at
school so I cannot talk to her.  Would someone with perfect pitch be
bothered by anything other than A 440?

Jack Houweling