Weird ringing - HELP!!

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Thu Jul 27 01:25:09 MDT 2006

Hi all.

IMB damper springs are regulated from a touch perspective only. When
this is done correctly there will (always) be enough tension for them to
function properly as dampers.  If dampers do not damp well enough
despite proper spring regulation then you are dealing with damper
seating, positioning or perhaps damper mass issues.  Much has been
written about this through the years in the archives and I encourage you
to check out some of the material there on the subject matter.

Cheers
RicB

Greetings,

         I am a newbie with a whopping 37 months in business. I have
replaced
damper felts and never worried about the tension in the damper springs. The
ringing subsided in the old uprights that I have done, however, the ringing
could have been less. I am doing a damper job right now for a lady and
this time,
I "massaged" the damper springs alittle to renew the tension,
        Friday I am going to her place to put the action in and glue the
dampers on the newly sanded blocks. I will see then the fruits (or not)
of just
bending those springs very sliiightly. I did it when I had the levers
off and
out while cleaning/sanding off the old felt in my shop.
         Actually, I asked the list here, that same question, about
messaging
the old springs, and I guess no one caught the question, because I got no
response, so I figured I would just go ahead and re-tension them
slightly, Here's
why:  I was told at tuning school that you can slightly bend the spring
rail
(hammer) springs to re-juvinate the tension in uprights and also I was told
you can do it to the repittiion springs in a grand. They basically work
the by
same principle as damper springs so I figured why not with the damper
springs.
We shall see, Friday.

       So, I really cant give a definite answer on re-tentioning. I am
guessing. I also know there is a way to measure the tension, but I dont
know what
gage to use or how to use it. This is on my list of things to check out.

Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA