WOW!! I saw GOLD PAINTED tuning pins!

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Thu Jul 27 01:19:03 MDT 2006

Greetings,

          I tuned a small grand piano (circa 1920) for a small chapel amd the
tuning pins and the fore strings about 2" in, were painted gold!

          Now, I love to paint. Its a hobby, I mean, I have wooden wash props
that I painted purple and aqua sides and I masked them with peg board to
spray gold polka-dots. All this is to say that I am veerrrry critical of how good
a paint job is .

        These tuning pins were wire brushed and the girt and grime was
cleaned off, (the prep work was obviously well done) the piano was obviously masked
to avoid over spray and then  painted gold with spray paint!   ....and IT
LOOKED GOOD!  I tuned it, and the paint never got in my way, felt gummy or even
chipped!!!  It was a well done job!

       The History channel recently had a documentary on paint's use,
function and it's history. It explained how a coat of paint will stop rust in it's
tracks. I have a customer who just was given an old grand piano and the pin area
is UGLY, I mean, I wire brushed it and vaccuumed and it still looks grubby.
I'm ready to suggest a paint job to this customer, wire brush and masking
tape/cardboard in hand!

      Gimme paint, dahmik! and I am dangerous!!! Seeing this opened up a new
dimension'ne. Comments?

Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA