WOW!! I saw GOLD PAINTED tuning pins!

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Thu Jul 27 07:12:20 MDT 2006

I've also seen the pins and plate spray-painted gold (they did the cabinet, too: gold accents over ivory).  They went to the trouble of masking the windings right to the core wire.

Sure, paint prevents rust, but so does humidity control, which is much more vital for the rest of the instrument.  While paint is colored glue (mostly), I'd be very afraid of contaminating the pinblock, with perhaps solvents or carriers in the spray.

--Cy--