Noise in the bass strings that won't tune away.

Arbeau Piano ArbeauPiano at comcast.net
Thu Jul 27 20:24:26 MDT 2006

The problem you are describing may well be that the strings needed to be
seated onto the bridge. Humidity and sometimes the temperature changes a
piano can go through just sitting in a single location through the year but
then you compound that this piano was also moved.

Sometime you may get lucky and the process of pitch raising may add enough
tension the string may slide down on its own and especially when the strings
ar in very good shape. Not is the case as the strings get dull/corrosive/ or
worse rusted. All the good efforts in the world can't tune that clean
unision when the strings are just a bit unsettled!

I had such a frustrating time of things until I just set the strings at the
get-go before doing any pitch raised or tuning pianos that have been moved
and even my regular piano I bump them down at least yearly for that solid
unision.

Gerald Arbeau
www.arbeaupiano.com