A 435 or A 440 ?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jul 28 07:02:45 MDT 2006

Perfect pitch is really a bit of a misnomer.  More accurately it should be
called pitch memory, i.e., the ability to remember certain pitches and then
to recognize or produce them.  How accurate one's pitch memory is probably
depends on several variables such as early exposure, musical training and
includes own particular ability to discriminate small differences.  The
research I'm familiar with suggests that there is a developmental window of
opportunity when pitch memory can be successfully acquired (assuming the
proper genetic array--and there is a strong genetic component), much like
language acquisition.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com