Why? Why? Why?

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 12:47:40 MDT 2006

Comments interspersed.

On 7/29/06, Hechler Family <dahechler at charter.net> wrote:
> This is mainly directed to PTG.

And there's a list where your post would be most appropriate: ptg-l.
For Guild related discussion, not technical.

> I, for one, absolutely do not have the time and learn all the required
> items to pass the tests.

But while we're here on this list today, I will go forward and make a
few comments.
Umm, aside from the aural component of the tuning exam, the knowledge
and skills whihc are tested are basic -- very basic -- to our trade.
Yes, there are one or two skills which one may not use on a daily
basis -- string splicing comes to mind -- but its just a few points
off, and something worthwhile to add to your many skills.

Furthermore, I can't make a living and do that
> much studying at the same time plus the expense to go to a place to take
> the tests. And, on top of all of that, I have enough hearing loss that I
> absolutely can not, ever, hear well enough to learn aural tuning, let
> alone pass the test - that is why I use an ETD. (Just to see how I would
> fair, I took an aural tuning class at the last convention I went to, and
> could not hear the temperament tuning tests that the instructor was
> trying to teach.)

As Les suggested, you might be pleasantly suprised at what 2006-era
hearing aids can do for you, if necessary. And, yes, it is tough to
follow an aural temperament class froma considerable distance from the
piano (quite unnatural to all of us tuners). I do think if you can
tune an aural unison, it's not much further to master octaves, fifths,
thirds, etc. True, you won't master everything in 1.5 hour at a
convention. You do probably "have the time" if you have the desire.
Best wishes,
Patrick Draine